Wednesday 25 September 2019

mosfet - Reverse current protection on power-switching MOS


It was suggested in "Select power supply voltage using MOSFETs" that a second MOSFET can be added in series to prevent reverse current flow.



My question is, can I just reverse Drain and Source on the switching MOSFETs and not need extra MOS or diode?


voltage selection circuit .



Answer



If you just reverse Drain and Source then in normal operation the body diode will conduct, even when the FET is switched off!


The solution is to wire two FETs 'back-to-back' so that their body diodes are in opposition, like this:-


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...