Friday 5 January 2018

operational amplifier - How to understand the open-loop gain of a op-amp?


According to the book Electrical Engineering 101, the open-loop gain of an op-amp can be very high, say 5000. When the difference of the 2 inputs is 1V, the calculated output can be as high as 5000V.


But if the op-amp is actually connected in to a circuit, the real output voltage is much lower than the calculated value. Say, it can be as low as 5V.





  • How is this open-loop gain measured? Do we use some kind of special voltage meter to measure the voltage across the output and the ground? But if so, it is not open-loop at all. It's kind of a dilemma. Or do I derail from the correct path of Electrical Engineering thinking?




  • What's the point of the open-loop gain if the actual output voltage can never be that high?




(I just want to expose my mental difficulties so that precise answer is possible. Hope I made myself clear. Thanks.)


some notes



(I am not quite familiar with some jargon in EE field. So I will collect them below as necessary.)



  1. I guess rail are the lines in the yellow rectangle since I see someone talking about rail-to-rail output. enter image description here




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...