Friday 26 January 2018

fpga - How to make an .sof upload to an Altera Max10 stick




I have a Max10 dev board with a 10m08 chip on it. I made a simple counter to blink the LED's. My counters have asynchronous resets, and my asynchronous reset has a circuit to keep it low for two clock cycles and prevent metastablity. I reset the fpga and it the counters stop (they all go to zero), it only starts counting when I upload a new flash to the dev board. If I power down the FPGA and power it back up I get the same result. This leads me to believe that its not my reset and its more of a flashing problem. Is there some kind of setting to make the flash stick? or should I go back to debugging. How do you make the flash persistent, I don't see an option for that in the programmer, do you have to configure the user flash?



Answer



I answered a question here that details some of the different types of FPGA file formats: FPGA: Bitstream vs. SRAM Object File


Basically, right now, you're flashing just the SRAM with the SOF (SRAM Object File) -- this is volatile, and will be lost at power down or reset. SRAM FPGAs generally load their configuration from a configuration memory on-board, or a microprocessor that configures it (via ISP or similar).


In your case, your MAX10 dev board has a built-in USB Blaster device that should be able to program the on-board configuration memory. See page 4-4 of the user-guide and how to generate and program a POF instead of a SOF. This will keep your configuration on the flash memory device, and it will get loaded at every power-on.


I believe the Quartus II programmer can download a small executive to the FPGA (via JTAG) that then provides access to the SPI memory. It then uses that temporary executive to flash the SPI memory, and then resets.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...