Sunday 7 January 2018

Laser diode to remove copper layer from PCB


I used a DIY kit and made a PCB milling machine. So far I am happy with it but it is slow and the minimum thickness of the lines is depends on the tip's size.


I want to replace the cutting bit with laser diode to ablate copper layer directly to ablate acid resistant paint so I would overcome the issues I mentioned.



EDIT: As Spehro Pefhany explained removing copper layer with laser requires much powerful laser than a simple laser diode. At this point using a laser diode to ablate paint would be a better way to do this.



Here are my questions:



  • What type of laser diode I need to use to remove ~1 mm thick paint layer?


  • How can I calculate the minimum power I need to ablate the paint layer?


I read about laser diodes, driver circuits, protections (diode itself and human body) but I could not find a decent source about my questions.



Answer



I used a 808nm 0.5W laser diode and it can remove paint from over the copper layer.


I have explained it in the posts of my blog, from buying to the current results. The URL is:


http://gabuleu.blogspot.fr


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...