Tuesday 27 June 2017

Why do different colored LEDs interfere with each other when connected in parallel?




My very basic electronics education has taught me that parallel circuits are equivalent to separated circuits. To my surprise, when I was playing around with some electronics I found the following: enter image description here Essentially I connected two red and two blue LEDs in parallel. The red ones lit up, but the blue ones didn't. Only when I removed the red LEDs would the blue ones light.


Why is this?



Answer



The red LED has a much lower voltage drop for a given current. In that way, the red ones light but the rest don't achieve their voltage necessary to light.



  • Red LEDs have a voltage drop of about 1.8V.

  • Blue LEDs have a voltage drop of about 3V.


You can see more colors and their corresponding voltage drop here in this table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode#Colors_and_materials


To solve this issue, you need a separate current limiting resistor for each led.



You could think about it as if you were putting two different zener diodes in parallel. If you have a 2 volt zener and a 5 volt zener, the 2 volt zener will reach it's voltage and prevent the 5 volt zener from ever passing any current.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...