Thursday 29 June 2017

avr - ATMega32 vs. ATMega32A - one works, that other one not



I've got a setup with an ATMega32 running perfectly. When replacing the ATMega32 with a ATMega32A, nothing happens any more, not even the crystal oscilator swings. According to the changenote from Atmel, the reset pull-up resistor has a good value and the pull capacitors next to the crystal are also in place. I tried with many different parts (all from one shipment) of the ATMega32A, always the same behaviour. Changing back to the ATMega32 everything is fine again.


Finally I setup a circuit only with the AVR, reset pull-up, crystal and pull-capacitors. ATMega32 works (crystal swings), ATMega32A does not work (crystal swings not).


Could you think of anything but all ATMega32A I have in the lab are broken?



Answer



Finally, I found what was going wrong and it was completely my own fault, and it was Chris Stratton who gave the important hint.


Older AVR devices have been configured with the fuses to work with an external crystal. Newer ones are configured to work with the internal oscilator. This one is indeed much slower and my avrdude was simply talking to fast ... that was also the reason why I wasn't able to read or write the fuses. After finding the -B switch of avrdude everything is fine again.



Thank you again to everyone answering and commenting here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...