Monday 12 June 2017

diodes - Is the MOSFET source always connected to bulk?


I'm trying to understand all the basic connections of a MOSFET. These questions may seem very basic but I have flipped every single textbook I own and googled every single website and never found a clear cut answer to the following questions. I would appreciate all the help I can get.


1)Why is the MOSFET source connected to bulk? Is there any specific situation where the bulk isn't connected to the source? From what I have gathered, the bulk is connected to the source to establish a stable threshold voltage. If so, could we connect the bulk of a PMOS to ground and NMOS to Vdd? What difference would it make?


2)A MOSFET can function as a diode when the gate is connected to the drain. I don't really understand the physical operation behind this. However, this does make sense mathematically, as the MOSFET will always be in saturation. The current is given by, uCox(W/2L)(Vgs-Vth)^2, which means that the current graph will be quadratic which is ALMOST but not identical as the exponential equation of that of a diode. My question is, how does the performance of a MOSFET connected diode compare to that of a PN diode?


3)Of late I have seen many Rectifier circuits in IC design use MOSFET connected diodes instead of PN diodes. Is there a specific reason for this? Wouldn't a MOSFET have a relatively large area overhead when compared to using PN diode in IC design?


Your help is very much appreciated. Thanksss!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...