Saturday 24 June 2017

Sense Automotive 12V Circuit from 3.3V microcontroller safely



I want to sense a circuit state in an Automotive circuit (12V nominal) from a 3.3V microcontroller (MSP430Gxxxx). The circuit is normally 12V (or VBat) until either the Wireless ECU or a Door Key grounds the line, triggering an event. How can I safely (in terms of not frying the MCU or affecting the state of the line) sense this?


From the Manufacturer description, this seems to be a simple Open Collector system, it is not a power circuit, so I don't know how much current can be sourced.


enter image description here


I would tap into junction J6.


As this is automotive, current consumption is a concern as well. My MCU will be set up to interrupt on a falling edge trigger, and asleep unless that happens.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...