Sunday 20 December 2015

transistors - Biasing in common-emitter amplifier


I'm having trouble understanding the biasing of the common-emitter amplifier as depicted below:


common-emitter amplifier schematic


(Image source: Electronics Tutorials - Common Emitter Amplifier)


I keep reading that we should bias the collector voltage to be around half of Vcc, but I thought we should be biasing the base voltage to half of Vcc? In other words, I don't understand why we enforce Vc-Ve = (1/2)Vcc; I thought we should enforce Vb - Vin = (1/2)Vcc.


My reasoning is that the whole point of biasing was to prevent clipping and so biasing the input to half of Vcc would give us maximum swing. I am very lost on understanding this circuit so any step-by-step assistance would be appreciated.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...