Monday 7 December 2015

multimeter - Why so much variance in the continuity beeper threshold? How do these beepers work anyway?


In this answer it is mentioned that the EEVBlog-branded BM235 meter has a threshold of between 30 and 480 ohms for its continuity beeper (as seen on page 25 of the datasheet).


My first thought was "why isn't that an exact value?", but I realized soon afterward that of course it's not exact, as any meter with a good continuity beeper uses analog circuitry to get a fast beep response, and that analog circuitry inherently has tolerances. So I understand why they give a range.


What I don't understand is why the range is so large. I would understand something like 30~60 Ω, but this is more than an order of magnitude! What is it that causes this extreme variation in the beeper threshold?


Is this sort of variance normal? What sort of circuit is typically used for this, and what makes it so sensitive to component tolerances? Is it even that sensitive to component tolerances?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...