Sunday 13 December 2015

pcb design - Ethernet Interface PCB layout requirement (if any)


I am doing Ethernet communication to/from an MCU.


I got it working great with an ENC28J60 development module: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/olimex-ltd/ENC28J60-H/1188-1044-ND/3471433



I recreated the module layout w/ DIP components on breadboard. It works pretty good though not as reliable, the obvious reason being that im using a birds nest of wires vs a module.


Now I am going recreate this interface circuit on a PCB. Are they any trace width/ length recommendation I should use?


I found this: http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/022-0137_F.pdf


It says I should the keep the trace impedance below 50ohm for signal traces... But since Ethernet operates at different frequencies do i need to know ahead of time what frequency I'm transmitting at?


Should the Tx/Rx pairs be routed side by side or above/below on different sides of the PCB.


I am going to be using basic 1oz Copper, 2 layer board. I probably wont be able to keep the traces all on one side... Meaning the ground plane wont be flawless. How big of deal in this? I mean I did get it working on breadboard w/ jumper wire.


Thanks Tony




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...