Thursday 31 December 2015

stm32 - External power to STM32F4 Discovery board


I've recently finished programming the STM32F429ZI DISC1 board. I'm fairly new to this and now want to move away from connecting it to the PC via USB and power it up via a power supply.


At present I have connected a 5V supply to the 5V pin. This seems to power the board fine in that the LCD screen comes on (blank white), the PWR LED(LD2) lights up. However my program fails to initialise and stays blank, the COM LED(LD1) also flashes red at 1hz approx.



Has anyone experience with powering this board or other STM32 boards without a USB connection? And if so which Pin did you connect to and with what voltage.



Answer



I've figured this out (or rather I've found a solution), after pouring over the schematics and some general diagnostic work (measuring voltages, shorts etc)


In the user manual UM1670 (by ST) it has a page (19) on solder bridges


"SB10 (STM_RST) OFF No incidence on NRST signal of STM32F429ZIT6. ON NRST signal of STM32F429ZIT6 is connected to GND."


The solder bridge is not connected by default but as it was related to a STM reset I decided to short this to see if I could get the whole system to reset. It worked.


I've since soldered SB10 together permanently and the board runs as expected. (I'm not sure exactly how this fix works I need to read into it and then edit this response)


IMPORTANT NOTE: YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO FLASH CODE TO THE DEVICE THROUGH USB ONCE YOU HAVE SOLDERED SB10, I'VE NOT YET CHECKED BUT IMAGINE DESOLDERING WOULD ALLOW FOR YOU TO PROGRAM THE MCU AGAIN


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...