Friday 11 December 2015

pcb - Choosing a footprint in KiCad?


So, let's say I'm composing a schematic for a circuit I'm designing in KiCad, and... done.


I now have to to choose a footprint for my components. How does one identify the appropriate footprint for a given component? I open up CvPCB to an utterly daunting array of possible footprints, none of which seem to be referenced anywhere else in creation- google knows nothing of the footprint "names" seen in KiCad (that I can tell.)



I need the dimensions of a standard DIP pin - I have a component that can fit in this for example (yes, it wil tolerate heat :P)


I am perfectly happy to create my own parts with my handy dandy digital caliper! It'd just be nice if that massive library that comes with KiCad can actually do something.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...