Tuesday 6 October 2015

amplifier - How to substitute something modern for the TDA2003?




pocket radio, ham-radio transceiver.


It has to connect standard microphone with speaker which couldn't be powered through differential pair of wires.


enter image description here




  • single ended output (must have!)

  • 4.5-14V supply voltage

  • at least 1W on 4Ω load of power when powered from 5V

  • analog input

  • should be capable withstand shorts & hanging output



Ideally class D amp with low quiescent current and stand by mode.



I found many great amplifiers but all of them are BTL. I spent several hours on many ICs vendors and had no luck. All modern power efficient amps are BTL.


Initially, tried to use TS4962 in single-ended configuration but it died right away. Also, doesn't tolerate shorts and opens. I killed several ICs and stopped my experiments. TBH, it is amazing IC and when all connections are soldered as BTL provides really good performance.


After I tried to use LM386 but was not happy by its internal noise level.


Then I tried SSM2211 (in a SE configuration) which did work well but seemed having less gain. When I tried to make it more sensitive I ran into stability problem.


TDA2003 seems like ideal amplifier but it is very outdated, consumes too much current, makes too much heat.


Disclaimer: I understand rules, this is not website for recommendations but I did my homework there and I am stuck therefore I am looking for help of the community.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...