Friday 7 February 2014

why power is lower if memory accesses are spread over a longer time?


I am studying Intel speed shift, I saw a sentence:


"If these memory accesses are spread over a longer time, the power is lower but the energy is equal"


My understanding is that when longer runtime, we need more energy even platform power is constant.


I think power = V x I at a testing moment.


Why power became lower if memory accesses are spread over a longer time ?


ref: http://webee.technion.ac.il/~ran/papers/IEEE-Computer-H-EARtH-2016.pdf


page.35,


"Fixed energy (not shown in Figure 2): During workload execution, a fixed amount of data is transferred to and from memory, disk drives, and so on. This activity is a function of the application footprint and the devices’ physical characteristics; it does not depend on CPU frequency and therefore translates to fixed energy. If these memory accesses are spread over a longer time, the power is lower but the energy is equal"





No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...