Tuesday 4 February 2014

3.3v to 5v conversion with non-5v tolerant part. (single npn transistor?)


I was wondering if I can convert 3.3v to 5v when the 3.3v part isn't 5v tolerant.


I was thinking of using this layout: diagram with npn transistor



However I'm not sure if the gpio pin will get 5v "for a second" or if this is safe? Additionally, I'm not sure how to work out if 1MHz or 10MHz is possible here.


Would it be better to use a pnp transistor instead (SS8050?) so that the gpio could trigger the base directly?


If this is the wrong way to do this, is there a cheap unidirectional 3.3v to 5v converter IC which ideally has a schematic in Eagle?


EDIT: To clarify. I'm hoping to use the 5v to communicate with a shift register (which needs around 3.7v input minimum). Not to power the shift register.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...