Wednesday 1 January 2020

mosfet - Must this switch be turned on and off periodically?


enter image description here


Imagine that the AC1-2 is 170VAC at 150kHz~.


I simply want to turn the MOSFETs on, and let the AC flow through a inductive-capacitive load.


1) If I can turn the MOSFETs on to saturation by applying a control voltage, is it okay just to leave them in saturation for however long I want to have the load active?


enter image description here


2) If I cannot turn the MOSFETs on to saturation by applying a control voltage, is it okay to use a bootstrap setup switching at the same frequency as the AC flowing through AC1-2 for however long I want to have the load active?



enter image description here


3) If all of this ends up being kind of shitty, what would you recommend I do? I kind of just want to have something that can pass 150kHz 170VAC as if it was a 'wire' i could 'turn on'. It's all just to add capacitance to a high voltage inductor.


enter image description here


At this point, any help would be appreciated, and I hope I've been clear.



Answer



1) Yes: however, your driver must be isolated as the gate nodes need to be Vgs(on) above the common source node. Photovoltaic isolator ICs or driver-transformer-rectifier combinations are usually used for this task -- either way, it's a switchable, isolated, low-current 10V gate supply. You'll want to work out how much current the isolated gate supply must pull, though (Qg is your friend here), so that you can determine if a PVI IC will suffice, or if the more-parts approach (transformer driver IC, small transformer, and rectifier) is needed.


2) N/A -- 1) is certainly possible


3) A mechanical relay could be used instead; however, you would need to be very careful to snub the relay's contacts correctly lest you get a pile of arcs and sparks every time the relay switches.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...