Wednesday 22 January 2020

raspberry pi - Optocoupler w/ RasPi & Door Buzzer


I'm currently trying to make a system where sending a message to my Raspberry Pi from my phone will send a signal to my apartment's buzzer to open the front door, however I've been having problems choosing an appropriate optocoupler for the job.


The rough schematic that I had planned to use is as follows:


schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab


I'm a total rookie in this field, so you'll have to forgive me if my drawing doesn't make much sense.



The door buzzer that I have is this model, where on the second image the top right metal switch is the one that I'm hoping to force to connect by using the optocoupler connected to the raspberry pi. I tried using this optocoupler, however it seems that while my circuit design seemed okay, there wasn't enough flow through the optocoupler to get the door's buzzer to activate. I tried replacing the buzzer with a simple LED, and while it was activated when I sent the message, it was extremely dim.


As such, I'm convinced that the problem is likely down to the optocoupler not carrying enough voltage/current (not sure which) to activate the buzzer.


I welcome any and all criticism and suggestions, as I'm just doing this project to help learn about some basics of electronics.


Thanks in advance.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...