Wednesday 9 October 2019

microprocessor - How much is VLIW power- and area-efficient then superscalar anyway?


Most of texts say VLIW, which is lack of hardware to detect hazards and schedule the instructions. But I haven't see any evaluation about how much VLIW can save area(h/w complexity) and power compared to performance-matching superscalar.


When VLIW came out, the advancement of technology node size was slowing down, but not anymore. I want to know it's still valid to say VLIW can be considered to be efficient enough in power/area compared to equivalent superscalar when enough ILP is given.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...