Saturday 19 October 2019

rf - What's the best/easiest way to measure an unkown inductance without an RLC meter?


Is there a decent way to measure inductance accurately using an oscope and a function generator? The best method I can find is to build a tank circuit and sweep the frequency until the highest voltage appears. Then use the formula below to solve:


$$f = \dfrac{1}{2\pi\sqrt{LC}}$$


It seems like there must be an easier way!



Answer



I've used a two terminal oscillator, with the inductor in parallel with a suitable capacitor, with a scope or counter to measure the oscillation frequency. I once checked an inductor on a very expensive inductance meter at work, and the values were identical. The source-coupled oscillator using two FETs is ideal for this application, or the LM311:



enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...