Friday 4 October 2019

transformerless - How efficient is a capacitive power supply?


Something like this


alt text


Falstad sim version of it


(I'm tired, I keep making mistakes, so please excuse me for the second time.)


Now these are not very safe PSU's, due to the lack of isolation. But in sealed units, they can be a cheap way of getting the supply voltage for a microcontroller without an SMPS or transformer.


They are not 100% efficient due to the zener and resistors. But, I have several questions.



  1. How does the capacitor step down the voltage, anyway? Does it waste power as heat?

  2. If the zener were gone and the output was let to float around 50V, would it approach 100% efficiency?





No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...