Wednesday 8 August 2018

sensor - How to calculate permittivity of a fluid


I am confused about calculating permittivity of a fluid. Permittivity differs from one fluid to another.


$$\epsilon=\epsilon_r\epsilon_0$$


Since it is an electrical property combined with an electrical capacity, it is possible to measure it indirectly in a capacitive sensor. I have used a capacitive sensor to measure the electric relative permittivity factor of a dielectric medium, which can be expressed as a ratio of capacity \$C_x\$ of a capacitor whose space between and around the electrodes is completely filled with the medium, to capacity \$C_0\$ of the same electrodes in vacuum.


$$\epsilon_r= C_x/C_0$$


I know and measured \$C_0\$ value. I am facing problems with calculating \$C_x\$ of the capacitor whose space between and around the electrodes is completely filled with the medium.


I am using method as described below.


I am applying an A.C signal (125 KHz) to the capacitive sensor which is filled with some fluid; in response I am getting an A.C. signal with some phase difference. I am able to measure the amplitudes of the sensor input and sensor output signals and their phase difference also. I am trying to make an equation that will give \$C_x\$ value from above known values (\$V_g\$ (input), \$V_r\$ (output), \$\phi\$ (phase difference)).




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...