Saturday 11 August 2018

current - Calculating resistance for zener diodes?



enter image description here


I am an electronics student, and I was set some homework online. I am not having trouble with the question itself but the theory. It says that the current through the resistor is the same as the maximun current that the diodes can safely handle, but as you can see, there are (\$V_{out}\$) volts being dissipating to the right, and a minimum required current going through the diode to maintain consistent voltage.


The thing is, how could the current through the resistor be the same as the current through the diode, as \$Voltage=J/C\$, or, joules per coulomb, so that means there must be some energy carried by the coulombs, and ultimately, some electrons. But then this is contradictory, wouldn't the current going through the resistor be the total current, the current dissipated to the right and current through the zenor? Or... is it that there isn't, then, any current passing at \$V_{out}\$? and it doesn't represent voltage being dissipated? I cant wrap my ahead around it...




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...