Monday 6 August 2018

operational amplifier - Should I be concerned when loop gain rises back above 0dB on simulation?


Interim update


Okay, I just realized I screwed up on the simulation. When I added \$C_{bp}\$ I upset the "break" in the feedback loop necessary to get the loop gain. The left-side lead has to go to the FB node leaving the INV node the only thing connected to the inverting input. I just fixed it and now the plot looks like one would expect (and my phase margin is all gone :). I'll work it through and then may take the question down since I'm not sure it happens when one doesn't screw up like I did :)




I'm finally getting a handle on methodical frequency response compensation for op amp circuits. I got LTspice set up to show loop gain, and have compensated this circuit in a fairly conventional way. I'm not sure what the name of this compensation strategy is, if it has one, but as I understand it, after "isolating" the gate capacitance with \$R_{iso}\$ it adds a zero to the feedback circuit at the frequency determined by \$\frac{1}{2\pi C_{bp} R_f}\$, about 1MHz in this case.


enter image description here



The feedback circuit frequency response looks like this:


enter image description here


The phase margin is a healthy 64 degrees, which I'm happy about because I'd prefer this circuit to be overly stable rather than get every last bit of speed out of it.


My question is: Should I be concerned that the gain rises back above 0dB at about 1.5MHz?


Also I'm a little bit concerned that the phase drops so precipitously in that neighborhood, wondering if I should be looking to add another pole somewhere or perhaps relocate one I already have.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...