Wednesday 7 March 2018

mains frequency accuracy worldwide


I like to build a device that needs long term time stability. In germany, one of the best simple clocks use the mains power frequency to obtain a time measure. While the frequency is allowed to change a little with the power net load, the errors are nullified over longer periods, usually over night. So in the long term, a mains driven clock is actually atomic clock driven and very precise.



This applies to the whole european power network I guess.


So I wonder how about other countrys worldwide? Would it be feasable to use mains frequency for timing issues after adjusting to a country's official frequency?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...