Saturday 9 September 2017

12v - draw 30W @ 5v to run LED light string and Arduino from a car battery?



I've got a set of LPD6803 LED lights controlled by an Arduino that I'd like to connect to a 12v system powered off an auto battery. The lights can run off 5-12V but this particular Arduino board is spec'd for only 4-8V Vin.


The total draw of the lights will be something under 30W. My guess is significantly lower, but I'm basing this on the spec sheet. (In testing I can run them off a 5V/2A AC adapter and it works fine)


Any ideas for the simplest way to power both from the single 12v source? It seems like the lights can run off a 12V circuit while the Arduino runs off a 5V circuit. Or I can run them both off 5V, if the 5V source can provide this power. I'm pretty sure a 12v->USB plug probably wouldn't. Does a 7805 apply here?


(I also have an inverter + AC adapter solution I could use but it's quite a hack!)


Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...