Saturday 16 September 2017

usb - Voltage requirements for charging Nokia phone


I have an old Nokia phone which charges fine from the adaptor, but refuses to charge using a USB charging cable.



USB Nokia USB charging cable.


Note that this isn't a normal USB cable, as you can see from the picture, it's got a USB A connector at one end, and a Nokia DC jack at the other.


What's strange is that even if connect this cable to a beefy 5v power supply, the phone still refuses to charge. I know that power is getting through because I can measure the voltage at the phone end of the cable, and the phone seems to notice when I connect the cable, but still won't charge.


Do Nokia phones have some nasty trick they use to prevent unlicensed chargers working with them?



Answer



The old Nokia phones using a 2mm charging connector will refuse to charge if the supply is not current limited. I can't point you to any reference/datasheet but from my experience in building a home-brewed charger, you need to limit the supply to deliver around 100mA. I don't have my schematics handy right now but the circuit I used was based from LM317.




EDIT:


Here's the schematic for the charger I built (page 22 of the LM317 datasheet): enter image description here


I replaced the 1ohm resistor with a 0.82ohms 5W resistor to get around 300mA of current (which falls within the limits in the Nokia datasheet). Also instead of 1.1Kohm, I used a 5Kohm trimmer so I can adjust the output voltage to 5.5V. Supply voltage is 12V so make sure to mount the LM317 on a decent heatsink. I have over-sized capacitors for input and output as I only have 2,200uF 25V available at that time.



Here's a photo of the kludge charger: enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...