Wednesday 12 April 2017

What's the easy way to measure a DC hobby motor's inductance?


When using simulations(SPICE), I need to model a DC motor or an electromagnet, relay ect. as an RL in series.


I can measure the R resistance by an ohmmeter. But I couldn't find an easy way to find out L value. Should I use a sinusoidal AC signal and measure the impedance from the phasor equations for that? But then I would need other equipment.


Any ideas?



Answer




If you have a square wave generator and an oscilloscope then you can use the L/R time constant method. Hook the generator up to the coil in series with a resistor, and put the scope across the resistor. Adjust the resistor value and square wave frequency to get an exponential waveform like this:-


enter image description here


Now measure the time it takes for the voltage to drop to 37% of its peak value. This is the L/R time constant, T = L/R. R is the total resistance in the circuit (resistance of the coil + your resistor). You know T and R, so put those values into the formula and rearrange it to get L = T*R.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...