Saturday 15 April 2017

AC polarity detection


How can I detect AC 'reverse polarity' (single phase) (without the use of ground/earth) and drive a led when the polarity is reversed?


It should at least detect 230 VAC but it would be cool/informative for future readers if the solution could work in US and EU (approximately 120 VAC to 250 VAC).


I did find this (non-isolated!) circuit, but I can not get it to simulate (the simulator complains that it needs ground or the LED blinks on both halves of the wave).

ac polarity detection ?
Source: 1 & 2


My questions are then:



  • Is the above schematic really functional and how does it work?

  • Is there a better or alternative way (MCU or perhaps even an IC) that does this?


Update:
Most current answers are leading me to believe one needs a reference. Now I'm thinking, why not create one? Something like a 'virtual ground' or somewhere along that line?


Update 2:

Today I read that older single-phase watt/hour-meters will run backwards if neutral and hot are reversed.. Why is this and couldn't the reason for this behavior be used in a 'equivalent circuit' that detects 'reverse polarity'?
Also, I wonder: could a hall-effect sensor be used to recognize a unloaded 'hot' wire, since a hot wire clearly emits a diversity of electromagnetic fields and elf radiation?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...