Monday 10 April 2017

How To Calculate kVA values in power analyzer meters?


I am using a Schinder Electric PM2120 power analyser meter.


I record values with it every 15 minutes. When I calculate values in kVA manually and compare them with the recorded values, I notice that a difference appears. Please explain to me why this is happening.


I used \$Root 3\times VLL_{Avg}\times I_{Avg}\$ to calculate using kVA.


Spreadsheet link: record


The time, voltage, current, kVA, THD values are taken from the measurements made with the meter.



Answer




The original question has been edited to more clearly indicate the \$\sqrt3\$ is the prefix and not plain ordinary 3. However, the principle for calculating VA based on using RMS values (rather than average values) remains the same.


3*V*I (or \$\sqrt3\$VI) is the correct formula for calculating VA if the voltage and current are RMS quantities but it seems you are using average values and these are likely to be average values of RMS values and so will give an error.


Consider 10 amps flowing for 1 second then zero amps for 9 seconds repeating. The average is clearly 1 amp. The RMS is somewhat different because you have to square then average then take the square root.


So 10 amps squared is 100 and this is averaged over ten seconds to be 10 amps squared. Take the square root and you find that the RMS is \$\sqrt{10}\$ amps and is substantially different to the average value of 1 amp.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...