Saturday 21 January 2017

operational amplifier - LM324 output voltage problem


edit: I also found out that with a LM741, that problem does not occur.


edit: First of all, this is not a "should I use LM324 as a comparator or not" question. Besides that, I just wonder the reason for this behaviour. I will paste one of my comments also here, since I think it describes the part I don't understand better.




However, I don't understand why it is related to opAmp's capability of resposing fast. The output goes 0 as soon as V+ goes below V-. So it looks like it does not have a problem with catching up. Rather, it, not understandably(to me, at least), goes high again while no change occurs in the state of V- to V+.



enter image description here


Why does not output stay at 0 but rises again high? I am talking about the yellow rectangle portion. The signal at the non-inverting input is higher than Vref on the inverting input for that duration. I would expect it to stay at GND as long as V- > V+.


I am using LM324 model from Texas Instruments Website.




Update : For all who might be having difficulties in such applications, I figured out this will be a better solution, after the answer of Marcus Müller.


enter image description here



Answer




You're getting phase reversal because you are taking the input below the negative supply rail. Add a negative voltage rail (-9V) to the op amp and it'll be OK.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...