Sunday 29 January 2017

current - L293D overheating


I have an old RC car. I removed all electronic from it, just left the plastic and the DC motors. It has 2 DC motors(1 for moving, 1 for left/right). I decided to attach arduino to it, while controlling the motors with the L293D H-Bridge. I wired it like this:


enter image description here



I noticed that motors are not running at full potencial(much slower with the h-bridge, then if I wire it directly to the battery). Also the L293D temperature goes insane(maybe 70-80C in 2-3 seconds) while motors are running. I rechecked all connections and spoils few time, they look good. I'm using a 7.2V 700mAh battery and since I didn't replaced the motors I'm not sure at what current do they work, tho they should work fine with voltage up to 12V.


My first thought was that maybe the L293D cannot handle the motors current, that's why it's overheating. After little research I found


The L293D is rated for 0.6A continues and 1.2A peak per 1 channel.

but my battery is 700mah so I think that's not the problem.


What might be causing this overheating and why my motors aren't running at full speed?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...