Wednesday 28 December 2016

flipflop - Why is the output of stateful elements often named Q?


In logic circuit diagrams, I've seen various conventions for naming inputs and outputs of logic gates and combinatorial circuits. However, stateful elements like latches and flip-flops often have their "state" called Q. I suspect there is a connection with abstract Finite-State Machines from theoretical computer science, where "state" is often noted Q as well (so I asked them too :-)


But why have people picked this particular letter ?



Answer



Alan Turing used the letter q to denote states in what came to be known as Turing machines. Presumably the q stood for quanta, emphasizing a state's discrete rather than continuous nature. This happened in the 30s when quantum theory was permeating the scientific æther.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...