Friday 23 December 2016

Do MOSFETs have a diode built into them?


I have noticed that a MOSFET symbol has a little diode in it (or at least what looks like a diode). Does this mean I do not have to worry about using a diode in a circuit that runs a motor using one? I would have used a diode in order to prevent reverse voltage from turning the motor by hand.



Answer



Yes, power MOSFETs have a parasitic diode called Body Diode.



MOSFET with body diode


As a result of this diode, a single MOSFET can work only as a unidirectional switch. A single MOSFET can't switch-off the opposite direction, because the diode conducts independent of the gate.


The body diode is usually fairly slow to turn on. I advise against using it as a the only flyback diode. Add an external Schottky diode for flyback protection.


(There are power MOSFETs with a built-in Schottky diode. They have 2 diodes: the native body diode, and an additional Schottky. But such MOSFETs are relatively uncommon.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...