Monday 14 April 2014

sensor - Getting coordinates of a device in a 3d space


I want to make a device that knows itselfs x and y coordinates in a 3d space, for example in a room. I can move the device anywhere in the room but I just need x and y coordinates. Is there anyway doing this by using accelerometers and/or gyroscopes? If not what is the easiest way to do this?


--Edit--


Here is the details. The device will be a kind of electronic pen. When I draw something to the wall with that device, I want it to be drawn in my computer screen too. The wall size is fixed. So, can an IMU give me the accurate coordinates on the wall during a few hours drawing period. If yes what should the precision or sensitivity of the IMU has to be?



Answer



I actually published a paper on this a couple years back. It is indeed difficult to track objects indoors with an IMU. As mentioned here previously, the only practical way to do it is with updates. I used passive RFID tags to update the position of my very low cost IMU (less than $100 prototype). The IMU works for short periods accurately but will begin to drift, all it needs is to occasionally pass near an RFID tag that has a unique ID and location associated with it. At that point not only do you know your current position, you can perform an affine transform on your previous path to get a more accurate picture of where you were. Your question is a bit vague on your application (I was tracking humans), but perhaps this dead reckoning with RFID fiducial updates would work for you. The paper is called "Indoor localization using pedestrian dead reckoning updated with RFID-based fiducials" if you'd like to look it up. It may give you some inspiration for your own method at least.



No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...