Tuesday 8 April 2014

linux sbc recommendations



I realize this is nearly a dupe of SBC Recommendations , but I have slightly different specs in mind.


Does anyone know of a single-quantity SBC with the following features?



  • 32 bit CPU, something common e.g., x86, ppc, arm, atom

  • capable of running some fairly modern variant of Linux

  • built-in 100Mbit/s ethernet interface (preferably with RJ-45 jack)

  • built-in RS-232 or RS-232C serial port (DB-9 connector desirable but not critical)


  • capable of booting an arbitrary OS/application from FLASH

  • capable of booting an arbitrary OS/application from ethernet

  • capable of booting over serial port desirable, not critical

  • must have at least one USB 2.0 port. more::=better

  • must operate from a single-voltage DC supply (not more than 28V, not more than 25W)

  • prefer Not to have PS/2 keyboard & mouse interfaces

  • prefer Not to have any graphics capability

  • built-in SPI, I2C, or general-purpose discrete I/O bonus

  • price point under $250



The mission for this SBC is to sit on my network and operate custom I/O hardware. Heaviest possible use case required would be to support a USB web-cam and serve low-bandwidth (CIF) video through a custom server app. Definitely not required to run databases, web servers, web browsers, middle-ware, ESB, or anything like that. Intended s/w platform C/C++, and maybe, just maybe, J2ME or J2SE.


The best match I've found so far is the BeagleBoard , but this falls short by having graphics capability (not needed) in place of ethernet capability (mandatory). I know you can add a USB based ethernet adapter, but ideally there would be a better match that would render this not necessary. There are also some atom-based 'car PCs' that are near misses, mainly for power supply reasons.



Answer



(Kind of a repeat from my answer to the previous question, but with a new board.) I'd go for the Technologic Systems TS-7553 for $135-- slightly cheaper than the Beagleboard, and just as good. I haven't actually used the 7553, but I've used its predecessors, the TS-7500 and TS-7550, and they're good. The only requirement it might not meet out of the box is booting over Ethernet, but I know it can be configured to do so (at least via TFTP or NFS).


(Maybe this goes without saying, but I have no connection to Technologic Systems at all. I've just used some of their boards.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...