Sunday 27 April 2014

How can I test a hex Schmitt trigger?


Yay, me...I just got done soldering my first surface mount IC. Because I know how volatile heat can be, and with how close the tip of my iron was to the IC (especially without a socket!), I'd like to make sure I didn't inadvertently fry the IC.


Other than testing the continuity between in/outs, what are some ways to test the other pins on a breadboard before I wire the board into my project?



Answer



Apply a logic level to each of the inputs, and see what the outputs give. If they're inverters the output should be 0 V when you apply 5 V (or whatever your supply voltage is) to then input. Connect the input to ground and you should get 5 V out.



It's unlikely that you fry it through the heat of soldering. ICs withstand temperatures of 300 °C on all pins simultaneously for several seconds. ESD may be another issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...