Sunday 13 April 2014

IR2110 getting really hot in this high-side gate driver configuration


I've constructed the following circuit: High-side Driver


From this blog: Tahmid's Blog


I put an LED in series with a 330 ohm resistor at the OUT terminal. I have the 5 V being supplied by an Arduino and the 12 V from a lead acid battery. The arduino is not programmed, I'm just using it for its output, and I am manually moving HIN from ground to +5V to test the circuit.


When I connect the lead-acid battery, the IR2110 gets really hot. I've measured the voltage between 3 and 5 and it is about 1.5 V, when HIN is at ground. This doesn't change when I move it to +5. The LED turns on brightly then dims when I connect the 12V and HIN is at ground. It turns off if HIN is moved to +5V. I am using the IRF540N for the MOSFET.


I have 5V at the drain of the MOSFET.


Please help. I don't know what could be wrong.


Oh and all the grounds are common.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...