Sunday 3 July 2016

microcontroller - Connect a 5mm led to a GPIO without transistor?


I am currently designing a circuit with a MSP430 MCU supposed to blink a LED (5mm round green). The circuit is a powered by a CR2 cell which the voltage will vary between 3V and 2V.


Assuming that I would choose the proper value of the limiting resistor between my GPIO and my LED, I am currently wondering if I can connect a 5mm led with a If=20mA and a Vf = 2V directly to my GPIO (with resistor of course) or if I absolutely need to use a transistor in between?


I suppose the MSP 430 will not be able to supply 20mA from its GPIO port?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...