Wednesday 11 November 2015

How was the design of active filter topologies arrived at, invented or discovered?


Active filters make use of Op-Amps. This can make it possible to avoid using inductors and get the same effect by "reversing" a capacitor. There are multiple topologies in existance for these active filters:


Chebyshev filter
Butterworth filter
Bessel filter

Elliptic filter

I can see that they have different role off and amount of ripples in pass band and stop band. What I do not understand is how these were discovered or invented in the first place. I fully understand passive filters made up of RLC. It is evident how they work and why they are the way they are. However, for the active filters it is not clear. Did the designers get a hypethetical transfer function first and then realize it in electronics?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...