Monday 16 November 2015

batteries - What kind of power management circuit do I need to embedded a rechargeable battery in my electronics project?


I am doing a project where my electronics runs on 5V which I wanted to power from a 7.2v lipo regulated down to that voltage. I'd really like to include the opportunity to charge the lipo without removing it from the project. What kind of circuit/components do I need to do it properly? Say, would putting a battery charging ic at the battery's terminals in parallel to my system be enough to achieve what I need?



Answer



Yes, but adding the device load directly to the charger load could confuse the charger IC. A better idea is to implement the load sharing system described in Microchip's AN1149: "Design A Load Sharing System Power Path Management with Microchip's Stand-Alone Li-Ion Battery Charger". This will run the device off battery power when it is standalone, and switch transparently to wall power when external power is available.


Load sharing system schematic


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...