Saturday 1 August 2015

What's a good EEPROM replacement for a 27C256/29C256?



I teach a hands-on computer architecture course in which the students burn their programs onto an EPROM with a commerical PROM burner. The instructions are read by a low-speed TTL computer they build. I started with the 27C256 EPROM but switched to the 29C256 EEPROM, which has now gotten hard to find.


Can anyone recommend an EEPROM (I'm sick of UV erasers) that would be a good replacement? Specifically, it should be reasonably priced, reliable, easily available and likely to remain so. It doesn't need to be pin-compatible, although that would be nice. I'd be happy with as few as 8 address bits (we use two LS163s for the PC), although I doubt anyone makes something that small. I also don't care about speed. Robustness to student wiring mistakes would be great. (All of the EPROMs have seemed pretty good for this.) Would the 28C family be a good place to look?


We have an Andromeda Labs PROM burner, which supports lots of devices.


Added detail: I've been using the 28-pin DIP package.



Answer




I believe the 29Cxxx series is now mostly flash memory.


Digi-Key appears to have several thousand of the 32Kx8 AT28C256 EEPROM's, which are almost the same pinout as the 27C256, and appear to be supported by your programmer. You didn't say which package you are using, I assuming it is a 28-pin DIP. There is also a 8Kx8 version of the same chip with a compatible pinout (unused address lines are no connects). It is a little cheaper in price, and also in stock.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...