Saturday 15 August 2015

switches - How to seamlessly switch between dc lipo power sources


I have a question which has been asked a few times on here with some very detailed replies ...which would be great, if I had any idea what they meant! I've been building my own RC FPV setup and groundstation and so far been ok but now stuck.


I want to switch between 2x 4000 mah Lipo 3 cell batteries with a SPDT On-On toggle switch. I am not sure what devices I will need to do this somewhat properly. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be simply connecting both lipo's to either throw and the output into my ground station so I can toggle without dropping the flow.


I was hoping someone might be able to link me to the devices I should be connecting together so I can "seamlessly" switch between power sources. I can't read circuit diagrams too well and electrical jargon (still learning) ...so hoping for a more straightforward approach.


Thanks for any help.


Cheers



Answer




What is the current (Amps) your load (device being powered, base station in this case) is drawing? Or do you know how much power (Watts) and or how many volts, too?


The simplest thing to do is put a capacitor after the switch. The capacitor acts as a small voltage reservoir. The problem is that depending on the load, they usually discharge quickly. That being said you can get a large enough capacitor which will act as a voltage source (like a battery) for a few seconds while the switch is momentarily "open" when it's not connected to either contact, and should provide more than enough leeway to allow you to switch from battery to battery.


schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab


Hopefully that's simple enough for you, if you have any questions about the connections, feel free to comment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...