Wednesday 19 August 2015

batteries - Under Voltage Protection for LiPo Battery


I have a 3Cell LiPo battery which I am going to use with an RC Car, and I want to design a circuit to protect the battery cells from going under ~3.3v each. So what do you think of this design?


enter image description here


As you can see in the schematic, I am using the MCP111-315 which detects voltage drop below 3.08V (active-low, open-drain).





  • Diodes are used to increase the detected voltage level, so it will detect the power at 3.08 + Vf (3.3 is my preferred value). However, the MCP111 only draws 1.75uA (max) and most datasheets only provides Vf for as low as 1mA. Is there a more reliable way to get this ~0.2 voltage drop at such low current? maybe a voltage divider?




  • I am using optocouplers since I don't have a common ground between Cell 1 & 2 and the MCU




  • Any cell that falls below 3.3V should pull the MCU pin down (MCU Internal pull-up resistor is turned on on that pin)





  • C1, C2 and C3 are bypass capacitors for the MCP111, whereas R1 & R2 are series resistors for the optocouplers LED.




Any suggestions on this design or do you have a simpler idea?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...