Friday 4 July 2014

Why is the diode forward voltage constant?


When you have a diode with a certain barrier voltage (e.g., 0.7 V for Si) and you apply a voltage higher than this barrier potential, why does the voltage across the diode remain at 0.7V?


I understand that the output voltage across the diode will increase as a sinusoidal input is applied until it reaches the 0.7 mark, I don't seem to understand why it remains constant after that point however.


It makes sense to me that any potential greater than this barrier potential will allow current to pass, and correspondingly, the potential across the diode should be the applied voltage minus the 0.7 V.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...