Monday 14 July 2014

Purpose of cylindrical attachments on Power Transmission towers


Attached below is an image of a Power transmission pole. What I am interested in is the cylindrical shaped objects attached to the transmission tower.


enter image description here


Some other observations and relevant information:



  1. These objects are not present in every tower but on one in every few towers or so.


  2. These towers are from a mixed Residential and commercial neighborhood

  3. The towers in question are in Japan. I have not observed these cylindrical objects on similarly sized transmission towers in my Home country


  4. A less relevant observation is that even though these are overhead transmission lines, they are insulated, perhaps because of the proximity of the houses and buildings to the towers


    EDIT: There is a similar question linked here, however, this picture has both a single phase and larger 3 phase transformer while this earlier question had only a single phase one. Further, the question uses different terminology to describe the transformer (cylinder vs canister)





Answer



Those look like transformers to me.


I don't know for sure but I strongly suspect that the top wires are the high voltage distribution and the middle ones are low voltage distribution. I'm not sure about the bottom ones, maybe communications cables.



Countries with a lower final distribution voltage are likely to have more smaller transformers, while those with a higher final distribution voltage are more likely to have fewer larger transformers. Larger transformers are more likley to be ground mounted while smaller ones are likely to be pole mounted.


I belive this is why you see lots of pole mounted transformers in some countries and realtively few in others (here in the UK you only see them in rural areas).


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...