Saturday 12 July 2014

adc - Calculating a burden resistor for a current transformer


Background:


I follow a reference design for a single phase power meter (230 V, max 3 A). The below circuit is to measure current via a current transformer.


Enter image description here



  • A current transformer will be connected to the CUR1+/- andCUR2+/- terminals (two current transformers in total).

  • CUR1 and CUR2 are to measure current on phase and neutral

  • D1-D8 are for protection.

  • D9-D10 are for a transient voltage suppressor.

  • R9 and R10 are the burden resistors.


  • The right part of the R9 and R10 are anti-aliasing filters.

  • I1+/- and I2+/- are connected to an analog-to-digital converter of a microcontroller


I am planning to use this current transformer as it is one of the lowest-priced options on that supplier.



  • Turn ratio: 1:1000

  • Inductance: 8 mH

  • Current rating: 200 A

  • Secondary resistance: 26 ohms



Question:


The design does not specify what current transformer is used on the circuit and how I should calculate the burden resistors. It says maximum applied voltage to the ADC is ±920 mV.



  • How should I calculate the burden resistors R9 and R10? Do I need to consider the filter part while calculating the values?

  • I see different values for the secondary resistance. What is it important for? Is it used in the calculation of the burden resistors?

  • As I understood, the inductance's effect of the current transformer on reactive power will be corrected on a different stage. Apart from that, is the inductance matter for the above circuit?

  • It is a single-phase power meter. Is it enough to measure the current at only one current channel? If it is so, why would it be needed to have a measurement on both channels?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...