Saturday 24 May 2014

optoelectronics - Is it possible to use an optointerrupter as a optoisolator?


I currently can't buy an optoisolator, so I was wondering if I could wrap a optointerrupter in tape to shield it from light and use that as an optoisolator. Is this possible?



Answer



Don't have an opto-isolator? Make one.


All transistors are photo-electric until put in a can or some opaque plastic. If you have a small signal metal can transistor you can cut or file the top off and super-glue it to an LED.


LED superglued to transistor.


LED superglued to 'photo-transistor'.


Heatshrink cover.



The finished article with heatshrink sleeving.


The transistor is a 35-year old BC108. LED is a generic red - probably same vintage.


Watch out for light getting in the back of the LED. Current transfer may not be very good so you may need to 'Darlington' the output.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...