Tuesday 20 May 2014

Class D amplifier output filter calculation


I want to build a simple amplifier with TI's TPA3116D2, which is "filterless" Class-D amplifier. This device can be run with a traditional LC filter at the output, or, if the speaker wires are short, simply a ferrite bead with a 1nF capacitor.


I'd like to test with a traditional LC filter. The example values in the datasheet are 10uH and 680nF.


I don't happen to have any 10uH coils, but I have plenty of 22uH ones. What happens if I use a larger inductance and smaller capacitance?


According to my calculations, the suggested filter has a 61KHz cutoff frequency and 3.8 ohms impedance. A filter made with 22uH and 330nF will have a 59KHz frequency but the impedance will be 8.16 ohms



What does this mean in this case? Will it affect the performance of the device?



Answer




I don't happen to have any 10uH coils, but I have plenty of 22uH ones



Wire two in parallel to get 11 uH - this is near enough 10 uH so I don't see a big issue given that inductors are usually toleranced at greater than +/- 10% (yes I know there are exceptions)


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...