Wednesday 28 May 2014

What does a black band at the end of a resistor mean?


I have a burned out big blueish gray resistor (probably a 1/2 or 1 watt) that I'm trying to find the value of but there is a mysterious black band at the end of the resistor where the tolerance band would be but obviously the tolerance/failure rate/temperature band cannot be black. What does it mean?


4.6mm x 15.5mm


I have confirmed colors:


Brown Black Gold Gold Black


So I think it's safe to say it's a 1 ohm, 5% tolerance. But what is that last black band!? It's driving me insane.


enter image description here



Answer



revised




  • brown =1

  • black =0

  • gold = x 0.1

  • gold = 5%

  • black = non-inductive (bifilar wound WW)


is a 10x0.01= 1.0 Ohm 5% WW resistor.


enter image description here


If 0.9mm body length then 1W , if more then 2 or more.



The tempco is used by some non-wirewound types and black would be 300 ppm or the highest for non WW. rated tempco. If yours is non wire wound bet this.


otherwise...


enter image description here


While I’m at this again, get flame-proof if you like.


You can decide best on the colours that make sense from this example chart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...